1.24.2009

El Pollo Loco Flame Broiled Chicken

OK, I'll admit it, I've never been to El Pollo Loco so I'm not sure if this is the same thing or not. However, this chicken is delish! I serve it in corn tortilla's with cheese and avocado sauce (listed at the end of recipe) My hubby and kids eat it up and ask for more! Plus, it's something you can feel good about feeding your family.

Ingredients
1/2 roasting chicken, cut into pieces.

*** I use boneless, skinless chicken breasts most of the time. Just watch the cooking time on the grill, they cook a lot faster.***

MARINADE
1/2 cup water
2 tablespoons salt
1/2 teaspoon pepper
2 teaspoons lemon juice
2 cups orange juice
1 large garlic clove, minced
1/4 teaspoon yellow food coloring

Directions
1 Combine the marinade ingredients in a large bowl.
2 Add the chicken to the marinade, cover, and refrigerate for 1 hour. ***I marinate it longer if I remember too! The longer you marinate, the better***
3 Preheat grill to med/high heat. Cook the chicken on the grill, leaving the cover of the grill open. When the chicken has cooked for about 25 min, marinade the chicken once again for about 5 minutes. Place the chicken back on the grill and continue to cook for another 20-25 min or until done.

***This can also be frozen! Just mix up some marinade, add the chicken and Voila! Dinner is done for a crazy night!***



Avocado Sauce

Ingredients
1 ripe avocado, peeled & pitted
1 fresh jalapeno, cut into quarters (I use green chilies to accommodate the timid in my house)
1 cup water
1 tablespoon white vinegar
3/4 teaspoon salt
2 tablespoons fresh cilantro, minced
2 tablespoons diced onion

Directions
1 Combine all ingredients in a blender & puree.
2 Optional: For chunkier salsa, after pureeing, place in bowl.
3 Mix in one diced avocado into pureed mixture.

No comments:

Post a Comment